An exceptional opportunity to contribute to the industry by providing spacecraft missions with cutting-edge power solutions. This function is responsible for the design, analysis, development, testing, and delivery of energy conversion and power system solutions for a variety of missions, as well as serving as the power subsystem chief for those operations.
Engineers at SSTL are involved in missions from conception to launch, commissioning, and operation; this provides you with a unique opportunity to observe your work in space in a brief period. Oftentimes, this vital function will comprise a portion of the satellite mission’s main team, working in tandem with technical leads from various fields to develop innovative technical solutions.
Details About Senior Power System Engineer Jobs in UK:
- Offered Salary: £45,600 – £55,200 / year
- Experience: 5 Year
- Gender: Both
- Qualification: Associate Degree
- Career Level: Executive
The Power Subsystem Lead and Work Package Managers will be primarily responsible for the design, analysis, development, verification, and delivery of the power subsystem/modules within Space Projects. Typical duties consist of the following:
- Serve as the Power Subsystem Lead and Work Package Manager for space initiatives.
- Complete ownership of the power subsystem and its constituent parts.
- Identification and delineation of spacecraft system requirements that influence the spacecraft power system
- Procurement of a power system solution that satisfies these criteria in alignment with the organization’s documented procedures.
- Administration and validation of these specifications
- System and subsystem interfacing, in addition to trade-offs
- Supervision of technical solutions and support for fellow design engineers as required.
- Control and delivery of satellite power system work bundles, including oversight of the budget, schedule, planning, and risks, as well as liaison with project managers.
- Interactions with both internal and external clients
- Creation of technical documents (including interface-level FMEAs, development/test/verification plans, test methodologies, and technical descriptions)
- Minor circuit design enhancements (e.g., ECN generations, part replacements, incremental performance improvements)
- Assist in the development of novel mission concepts and products.
- Suggestions regarding forthcoming contract proposals.
Previous Work Experience:
- Demonstrated power system engineering experience of at least three years in a systems or power electronics capacity, with preference in the aerospace or space industries.
- Analysis, design, construction, and testing of analog and power electronics within a system or subsystem design
- Examples of typical Power System Equipment in a spacecraft include battery charge and discharge regulators, power distribution modules, relay and activation modules, drive electronics for motors and mechanisms, DC-DC converters ranging from 5W to 3kW, heater control boards, batteries, and solar panels, among others.
- Proficient in fault-finding and practical design and production experience during the development of analog and power electronics products.
- Outstanding technical discussion and presentation abilities in front of/with a technical audience.
- Practical knowledge of contemporary schematic capture and simulation applications, including MentorGraphics, OrCAD PSPICE, and others.
Qualifications Knowledge and skills:
- Degree or BTEC in Electronics or an equivalent credential
- Proficient in interpersonal and communication techniques, with the capacity to persuade, negotiate, and influence individuals at all organizational and external levels, while also aiding in the resolution of conflicting priorities.
- Outstanding initiative, self-motivation, and organization
- Proficient collaboration skills and the ability to engage with individuals at different hierarchical levels
- Proficient in both customer service and presentation
- Extremely results-oriented with a solid desire to deliver
- accommodating and adaptable to changing priorities
- Proactive and adept at initiating a conversation
Excellent organizational and planning abilities:
- Extremely organized and possessing exceptional communication skills
- Capability to simultaneously perform multiple duties
- Capable of carrying out independent tasks and exercising initiative
- Outstanding oral and written interpersonal communication skills; capacity to engage with customers and technical representatives
- Capabilities for problem-solving and decision-making
Ability to multitask and complete both short-term and long-term tasks:
- Proven ability to provide solutions under duress and time constraints
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project is mandatory.
- Capable of exemplifying the values and conduct of the organization, including accountability, driving and delivery, effective communication, and self-management. Perform in unison.
Benefits of Senior Power System Engineer Jobs in UK:
- Professional Development: Senior positions generally entail increased obligations and difficulties, providing an opportunity to augment one’s aptitudes and knowledge in the field of power systems engineering.
- Competitive Salary: In comparison to entry-level positions, senior positions typically offer competitive salaries that are commensurate with one’s expertise and experience in the respective discipline.
- Progression in One’s Profession: The senior power system engineer position offers prospects for professional growth and development within the organization or sector. It might entail assuming leadership positions, managing projects, or holding other roles that entail greater accountability.
- Innovative Projects: Senior engineers frequently participate in innovative and complex projects, which afford them the opportunity to develop state-of-the-art technologies and solutions within the realm of power systems.
- Potential for Networking: Senior positions entail engagements with industry leaders and professionals occupying higher-level positions, both internally to the organization and externally. This may provide you with opportunities for networking that are beneficial to your career.
- Professional Recognition: Attaining a senior position is indicative of a specific degree of proficiency and achievement within one’s respective domain, thereby enhancing one’s professional standing and acknowledgment.
- Training and Development: Organizations frequently allocate resources toward the training and development of their senior personnel. This may consist of conferences, seminars, and training programs that can enhance your abilities and keep you abreast of industry developments.
- Work-Life Balance: Achieving a work-life balance may be possible in senior positions due to the increased autonomy and flexibility that these positions provide. Those who are striving to achieve both professional success and a satisfying personal life may find this aspect especially crucial.
- Engagement in Renewable Energy: Should the power system engineering position prioritize renewable energy, one may derive personal fulfillment from making a positive impact on the environment and on sustainable solutions.
- Global Opportunities: Senior positions may occasionally present prospects for engaging in collaborative endeavors with professionals from various regions across the globe or undertaking international initiatives, thereby imbuing one’s career with a global outlook.
- Job Security: In the field of power systems engineering, senior positions are frequently accompanied by a certain level of job security, particularly when one operates in an industry where the need for expertise is steadily increasing.
- SSTL places great emphasis on its exceptional adaptability as an organization. While the position is physically located at our Guildford headquarters, hybrid and flexible work arrangements are entirely acceptable.
- SSTL is currently accepting applications for UK Skilled Worker Visas; furthermore, sponsorship for this position is available. Additionally, relocation assistance is offered.
What does a power systems engineer do?
An electric utility, wind owner/developer, or turbine manufacturer can hire a Power Systems Engineer. Their duties may include evaluating interconnection standards and transmission feasibility, the assessment of novel electrical parts for wind turbine designs, and the examination of system impact and facility circumstances.
Are power system engineers in demand?
Electrical engineers specialized in power systems are usually sought after in fields including energy, utilities, renewable energy, and infrastructure development.
What is the career path of a senior systems engineer?
For example, they might begin their employment as a senior software engineer, rising to the position of team leader, and finally attain the designation of infrastructural project manager.